Pages

Dec 28, 2011

What's cooking?

I have always been scared of pie crust. I was into using store bought crusts, until one day I was randomly disgusted by them. My mom taught be how to cook, so I should put that to use! Over the last year I have been on a search for a perfect pie crust recipe that I could file away for future use. Now that I have found it I'd like to share it. :)

I found this recipe at Simply Recipes and I have adapted the techniques used from a variety of different places.

Perfect Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
  • 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 6 to 8 Tbsp ice water
1.) Combine flour, salt & sugar on a flat surface. 2.) Add cubes of butter. Use a pastry scraper or other flat device to cut the butter into the four mixture.

3.) Continue cutting butter into flour with pastry scraper. Slowly add water 1 Teaspoon at a time to help the dough clump together. 4.) Once dough is mostly clumped together form into a round disk.

5.) Begin to roll the clumpy dough adding flour to keep it from sticking. 6.) Fold the dough over a few times and continue to roll.

7.) Roll the dough very flat, using flour to keep it from sticking. 8.) Fold the dough up into a square.

9.) Wrap dough in plastic and place in refrigerator for 1 hour. Dough can be used after 1 hour or frozen for future use. (I love to freeze a couple of these for when the spontaneous need to bake arises.) When you want to use the dough, simply take it out, let it sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes and then roll it out to the size needed.

10.) Pie (or pi) is complete with flaky crunchy crust. It's perfect, I told you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...